The second thing that I have finished is a little Flamingo which, as I said, was a quick birthday gift for a little girl in my antenatal group who got given a book by me as well, Flora and the Flamingo, which is a beautifully illustrated story with no words. The pattern has a few errors but it’s sweet and simple to work out if you are familiar with crochet/amigurumi, I’d think an advanced beginner would be fine! The English translation is a PDF so I won’t link to it from here but it can be found on the rav pattern page. All stylecraft special dk again. I have a lot to burn through still.
It was my husband, Nick’s, birthday on Wednesday. Ever since he’s seen a crocheted Mr Meeseeks he’s commented occasionally about it. Then resolved to learn to crochet so that he could make himself one as I obviously wasn’t doing it for him. Well I caved. (Though he has been practising crochet!)
It was a really easy pattern but I wouldn’t advise it for a beginner as the pattern writer made a lot of errors. Most of it is mathematical but the arms and legs particularly need some working out.
It’s made using Stylecraft Special DK in cloud blue. Not exactly the right colour but it worked.
It’s been a while since I’ve managed a Finished Object but here is one I’m happy with, this is Chutney and he’ll be heading to my nephew when I next see him. Artemis was really excited when she saw him so I think I’m going to have to make one for her too now!
I’m still working on the Carousel CAL, which has been ongoing since before Artemis was born. Whoops. It’s looking good though and I’m so close to finishing that I just want it done now!
I’m also making a chimpanzee from Happytown for my Nephew. It was his 2nd birthday 3 weeks ago. A few weeks before I’d gone into The Works and they were selling Chimpanzees of Happytown in their 3 for 5 deal, had loads of them on one of their special offer tables. Great! I think, I’ll go back and get 3, one for Nephew, one for Temi to replace the one she’s destroyed and a spare for another birthday or for when Temi inevitably destroys a second copy. I had some money in a card ready to go and went back to buy it and they were all gone. I forgot to give him the card in time for his birthday (it’s still in my car), went into The Works a week after his birthday and they’d found six copies of Chimpanzees of Happytown out back and put them on the shelves. So I decided that I would stick to my original plan of giving him what has to be one of my favourite children’s book and a Chimpanzee named Chutney to go with it. So here is Chutney so far. I’m hoping to finish him by Saturday as I think we’ll be seeing them so I want to hand him over only a month late. Whoops.
My biggest WIP at the moment is my lovely new house though. Mostly my front and back garden at the moment. I’m planning to set up as a childminder by the end of this year, but unfortunately my gardens are a state, so we need those complete before Ofsted set foot into my house to approve my application. We also need to work on the part of the living room that’ll be the playspace, and my desk area which is in the kitchen.
As you can see, the playspace is a bit basic. The desk area is rubbish and flows onto the dining table, the front garden (middle) is currently just mud as my Mum kindly came round and dug out all of the weeds on Saturday whilst I attempted to help between feeding baby and getting her back to sleep. That will be a flower garden. And the back garden (excuse the bedding drying, picture on the right) needs a kango to be completely ripped up and returfed as that is a combo of concrete and astroturf. I hate astroturf. The back garden did have a hideous decking area taking up half of it over the concrete which was also very dangerous and rotten, which is why it’s not there anymore. And masses of rubble, most of which has already been removed but there is still work to be done there.
Back in January my sister asked me to make an owl for some friends of hers expecting a baby later in the year. They love owls, they like purple and silver, so this little fellow emerged!
I used Stylecraft Special DK in Wisteria, Silver and a smidgeon of Saffron. A couple of small pieces of felt and some 9mm safety eyes for the eyes 🙂
I decided not to do the feet and tail as it was going to be for a newborn, who would eventually grow into a baby who gums everything then a toddler who chews everything and I didn’t want to have too much on there that they could chew at and risk pulling off!
So I tend to spend a bit of my time at work doing ‘creative’ things with my charges. The other day my two older charges wanted to play with playdoh while the youngest slept, and the eldest suggested making clothes for Barbie. Sure, why not, I did that with her and the middle charge made Starwars things. This is the kind of activity I really love though, it’s such good fun and they are great at coming up with ideas I never would have thought of.
So I spent half an hour making a playsuit for my Barbie. Unfortunately there was only one colour available: murky brown. The result was bloody horrendous but the kids had fun as did I…
Apologies for potato quality with the photo, Nick has our Naice camera with him as he’s probably going to head to a National Trust place tomorrow, jammy sod. He has an interview in the Midlands in the morning for a graduate position so he’s gone up tonight and will be back Saturday. Meanwhile I’m proxy parenting this weekend so I’ll be doing a lot of fun little activities with my charge like pottery painting. I love pottery painting 😀
Anywho, I wanted to share this. My first ever item of clothing (even though it is for a dolly)! It is too big for her so it will likely end up in my Little Charge’s Barbie outfit stash, but it’s cute and now I know how to make top-down jumpers/cardi’s/tunics I can be more adventurous with it. This was hashed together from numerous top-down patterns so no pattern link today I’m afraid!